News

Drive-by execution near Westville mall leaves 35-year-old man dead after AK-47 attack

Mthembeni Vuma|Published

A 35-year-old man was shot and killed in a suspected drive-by shooting at the corner of Buckingham Terrace and Menstone Road, near a shopping mall in Westville, on Tuesday.

It is believed the man was driving out of the mall when a vehicle pulled up alongside his Porsche and opened fire with an AK-47 assault rifle. The car was riddled with bullets and the victim was struck several times.

ALS Paramedics spokesperson Garrith Jamieson said they received numerous calls about the shooting shortly after midday. When paramedics arrived at the scene, they found the SAPS officers already in attendance.

“ALS Paramedics were shown to a vehicle which had been shot multiple times. They assessed the driver, who is believed to be the only occupant in the vehicle.” 

Jamieson said that the deceased had sustained multiple gunshot wounds.

“The male, believed to be in his thirties, had sustained fatal injuries and unfortunately there was nothing paramedics could do for him. He was declared deceased at the scene,” Jamieson said.

Motorists were urged to avoid the area at the time as police investigators combed the scene. The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unknown.

KwaZulu-Natal Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Paul Magwaza confirmed that police in Westville were investigating a case of murder.

“It is alleged that the deceased was leaving the mall in his vehicle when he stopped at a traffic light. Another vehicle stopped next to him and fired multiple shots at him with an AK-47 assault rifle,” said Magwaza.

The motive for the shooting is unknown at this stage, and police investigations are ongoing.


DAILY NEWS