News

South African men return home from Ukraine conflict amid recruitment concerns

Sipho Jack|Published

Four South African men have returned home from the conflict in Ukraine, raising concerns about their recruitment and the fate of the remaining 13 still trapped.

Image: Ludovic Marin / AFP

The South African government has confirmed the return of four men out of the 17 who were lured into the conflict in Ukraine, raising serious questions about the recruitment process that sent them to the frontline.

International Relations Minister Ronald Lamola announced their return during a parliamentary debate on the State of the Nation Address on Wednesday night, highlighting ongoing diplomatic efforts led by President Cyril Ramaphosa and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The men, aged between 20 and 39, had initially been promised job opportunities and security training in Russia in 2025. Instead, they found themselves caught in the war in the Donbas region, stranded and fighting alongside Russian troops rather than receiving the expected training.

The four returnees landed at OR Tambo International Airport on Wednesday evening, offering a glimmer of hope to their families, though concerns remain for the 13 others still believed to be trapped in Ukraine.

Kinase Nukansi, a family member of one of the returnees, expressed mixed feelings of relief and worry:

"While we are thankful that he is back, our hearts are heavy for those left behind. At this stage, as family members, we couldn't go to Johannesburg. We are still here in KZN. We are not too sure when they’re going to arrive in KZN," she said.

The President’s office indicated that negotiations were ongoing regarding the rescue of the remaining men, who have been in Ukraine for several months.

The circumstances surrounding their recruitment have drawn scrutiny, particularly after allegations surfaced involving Duduzile Zuma‐Sambudla, daughter of former President Jacob Zuma. Reports suggested she may have played a role in the recruitment process, with some men claiming they were misled about their intended purpose in Russia.

Public pressure intensified following earlier calls from concerned families, who held a press conference in Durban last week.

Delani Zuma, another family member, recounted the immense pain and fear experienced by those still in the conflict:

"They plead with us to help them get back home," he said, describing a harrowing video call with the men that left the families emotional.

Of the 17 men, 16 hail from KwaZulu-Natal and one from the Eastern Cape, drawing the attention of community leaders and civil society groups urging the government to act swiftly.

The Hawks have also become involved, following allegations by Nkosazana Zuma-Mncube that Zuma-Sambudla, a former MP, and two others misled the 17 men into fighting for Russian mercenaries. Zuma-Mncube reportedly opened a case, claiming that relatives of the men had been deceived in the recruitment scheme that entangled these young South Africans in a foreign war.


DAILY NEWS