Suspended Police Minister Mchunu says he is not concerned that he might be implicated by alleged crime mastermind Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala.
Image: ARMAND HOUGH Independent Newspapers
Suspended Police Minister Senzo Mchunu has rejected suggestions that he may be implicated in wrongdoing by alleged crime mastermind Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala.
This comes after Matlala reportedly offered to give information to the Investigative Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) in exchange for leniency in his criminal trial related to a R228 million tender irregularly awarded by SAPS to his company, Medicare24 Tshwane District.
Mchunu was responding to media reports that Matlala’s information could implicate high-ranking police officials and potentially politicians in wrongdoing.
Matlala reportedly feels betrayed because Mchunu and top police officials failed to shield him from arrest during the SAPS raid at his residence and offices.
President Cyril Ramaphosa placed Mchunu on a special leave in July last year after KwaZulu-Natal SAPS Commissioner Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi alleged political interference in police investigations and claimed Mchunu had links to organised crime.
When answering Parliamentary questions in the National Assembly last week about Mchunu’s future, Ramaphosa said a decision on his position had not yet been made.
Sithembiso Mshengu, Mchunu's spokesperson, said the suspended minister has nothing to fear and believes the directorate 'will get to the truth'.
"Minister Mchunu has nothing to be concerned about. He has confidence in the ability of IDAC to extract the truth from the deepest of waters," he said.
This was despite testimony from controversial North West businessman and political fixer, Brown Mogotsi, who told the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry last year that Matlala sought a meeting with Mchunu during the ANC’s January 8, 2025 celebration in Cape Town.
Additionally, Mogotsi claimed that Matlala financed some ANC members' travel expenses to attend the event.
Mogotsi, who was arrested on Friday following his latest testimony, faces charges for allegedly orchestrating a staged assassination attempt in the Vosloorus matter and for defeating the ends of justice. He appeared before the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday, where the matter was postponed to May 25 to allow him to apply for bail.
Testifying before the Parliamentary Ad Hoc Committee in November last year, Matlala claimed that he paid former Police Minister Bheki Cele R500,000 in cash on two separate occasions to avoid police harassment and secure the return of his seized firearms.
He alleged that Cele initially solicited a R1 million bribe, but only R500,000 was paid - reportedly handed over in a Woolworths shopping bags.
Cele did not respond to a request for comment on Sunday. A WhatsApp message went unanswered, and several calls were not returned.
In commission testimony last year, Mogotsi alleged that Cele accepted a R2 million payment from Matlala, whom he referred to as “John Wick”.
Matlala recently appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court with senior police officers who face corruption and fraud charges over the tender.
Suspended SAPS National Commissioner Fannie Masemola, a co-accused, faces four charges, including breaches of the Public Finance Management Act, fraud, money laundering, and other financial misconduct.
According to reports, Matlala’s lawyers reached out to IDAC with information allegedly linking senior police officers and potentially politicians to wrongdoing.
IDAC spokesperson Henry Mamothame declined to comment, stating: “IDAC won’t be commenting on your enquiry.”
According to reports Mamothame said consultations with Matlala were complete and that new information from those talks prompted the state to open further investigations.