The ANC in KwaZulu-Natal has suspended four ward councillors in the Impendle Local Municipality.
Image: Supplied
The African National Congress (ANC) in KwaZulu-Natal has confirmed the immediate suspension of four of its members who serve as ward councillors in the Impendle Local Municipality, following allegations of misconduct.
The suspended members are Malcom Dlamini, Nokuvela Ngcobo, Wonderful Zibuse Dlamini and Thabani Makhaye, who represent wards 2, 3, 4 and 5, respectively.
ANC provincial spokesperson Fanle Sibisi said the decision was formally adopted by the Provincial Task Team (PTT) during its sitting on February 6, 2026.
He said the suspensions were effected in terms of Rule 25.60 of the ANC Constitution, which provides for immediate temporary suspension under justifiable exceptional circumstances.
“The PTT’s resolution follows an assessment of developments indicating prima facie breaches of several organisational rules, including but not limited to Rules 25.17.3, 25.17.6 and 25.17.11,” Sibisi said.
“The PTT concluded that, having regard to all prevailing factors, there were justifiable exceptional circumstances to warrant immediate temporary suspension as provided for in Rule 25.60.”
Sibisi said the alleged misconduct occurred on various dates up to and including February 6, 2026 in Impendle, where the four members, in their capacities as councillors, are accused of directly or indirectly conspiring with other councillors against the officially mandated position of the ANC caucus in the municipality.
He said they allegedly acted contrary to, and in defiance of, a PTT decision that had been duly communicated to them and which they had committed to implement.
Through their conduct, Sibisi added, they are further accused of acting against the interests of the ANC by undermining discipline, unity and cohesion within the ANC caucus in the municipality.
Sibisi said the allegations relate specifically to their actions surrounding the removal of the former mayor and the purported election of a new mayor.
“The PTT therefore concluded that the alleged acts of misconduct were of an extremely serious nature and had a significant negative impact on the ANC as an organisation, on the organ of state where the ANC governs - the Impendle Municipality - and on the morale and confidence of the community,” he said.
He said a direct consequence of their suspension, the four councillors are prohibited from participating in any ANC organisational activity, programme or formation.
“In terms of Rule 25.62, they are further prohibited from participating in any municipal activity, meeting or programme unless specifically authorised in writing by the provincial coordinator,” Sibisi said.
He added that a formal report on the suspensions has been forwarded to the National Disciplinary Committee of Appeal, in line with Rule 25.64.
“The ANC acknowledges the recent leadership vacuum in Impendle and the significant governance challenges that have affected service delivery, including the untimely payment of staff salaries,” Sibisi said.
“We remain committed to the principle that no individual is above the organisational discipline required to serve our communities effectively.”
The party reassured residents of Wards 2, 3, 4 and 5, as well as the broader Impendle Local Municipality, that the decision forms part of its ongoing programme of renewal.
“Furthermore, the ANC leadership at all levels, including the leadership of the Alliance, will be on the ground engaging with communities,” Sibisi said.
“Our priority remains the stabilisation of the ANC caucus and the restoration of effective governance to ensure that the people of Impendle receive the services they deserve.”
Sibisi said the ANC would follow all due processes as outlined in the party’s constitution, and that the suspended members would receive formal notice of the specific charges in due course.
IOL Politics
Related Topics: