News

Nhlamulo Ndhlela receives Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla backing amid MK Party turmoil

Willem Phungula|Published
Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla has publicly backed sacked MKP spokesperson Nhlamulo Ndhlela.

Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla has publicly backed sacked MKP spokesperson Nhlamulo Ndhlela.

Image: X

Nhlamulo Ndhlela’s apparent purging, for allegedly penning the uMkhonto weSizwe Party’s statement suggesting that President Jacob Zuma and his national command had been disbanded, is set to divide the party.

Since his removal, both as a Member of Parliament and the national spokesperson on Sunday, during an impromptu media briefing, Ndhlela has since received backing from one of the party's senior party members, Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla.

In her series of messages on X since Monday, Zuma’s daughter (Duduzile) appeared to have broken ranks with her father and publicly backed Ndhlela, calling him a sacrificial lamb.

Although the party dismissed that he was ousted because of the statement, which it recalled on Sunday, it was widely believed that his fallout with Zuma emanated from the statement, which was apparently penned by him.

The statement, which was read in front of Zuma and other senior leaders on Saturday, revealed that a new structure called MKP Institute was now in charge of the party and had replaced the national executive committee, known as the National Command.

However, the party’s Secretary-General, Sibonelo Nomvalo, who was also in front of Zuma and other senior leaders, read a new statement nullifying Saturday's statement.

He also announced Ndhlela’s removal and unveiled former The Star editor, Sifiso Mahlangu, as the new spokesperson.

After being removed from his MP seat and spokesperson position, the party also announced his membership suspension on Monday.

Ndhlela was accused of sowing division and placing the party into disrepute. The party also announced that his membership would remain suspended pending an investigation of his alleged misconduct.

"The suspension shall remain in effect until the investigation has been concluded and a final determination has been made," read the statement.

However, this appeared to anger Zuma-Sambudla, who took to X to publicly criticise the party’s decision.

In one of her first tweets, she reposted a message that suggested she was the one who recruited Ndhlela to the party after inviting him to be the programme director of the party's first media briefing session on December 16, 2023.

The text was accompanied by a picture of Ndhlela and Zuma, with a caption indicating that it was taken before going to the historical media briefing where Zuma announced the establishment of the MKP.

In another tweet on Wednesday, where she tagged Ndhlela, she wrote: "They will never erase you as they were not even here when we defeated all the charlatans, including Jabulani Khumalo. There would be no MKP of president Zuma standing today without you by my side."

Zuma-Sambudla’s tirade against the party's decision comes after mass resignations of members and volunteers in Gauteng, who lashed out at the party’s national leadership, calling for its disbandment.

Previous senior party members to leave the party included Floyd Shivhambu and former Secretary-General Dr Bongani Mncwango, and Members of Parliament, including Coleen Makhubele and  Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane.

Political analyst Professor Ntsikelelo Breakfast said that, as much as Zuma-Sambudla’s outburst could be seen as ill-disciplined, it should be expected in a party that has no elected leadership.

He said it would be difficult for members to continue respecting decisions of an unelected leadership because it lacked authority.

"What we are seeing in the party is the clear sign of persistent instability, which is caused by a lack of authority. The question is, where does the party leadership get the mandate to take all these decisions? On whose behalf and interests do they take these decisions? Who do they account to after all?" asked Breakfast.

He also cast doubt on the party’s chances of success in the upcoming local government elections, and said it was clear that the MK Party would go to the polls divided. 

Zuma-Sambudla did not respond to questions sent to her regarding her her series of tweets, while attempts to get the party’s new spokesperson, Sifiso Mahlangu, were unsuccessful at the time of publication.

[email protected]