News South Africa

Durban flood victims finally receive keys to new homes, four years later

Thobeka Ngema|Published
A new beginning: Families displaced by the 2022 floods finally move into their permanent homes.

A new beginning: Families displaced by the 2022 floods finally move into their permanent homes.

Image: Doctor Ngcobo/ Independent Newspapers

After four years of waiting and navigating the emotional and physical challenges of living in transitional accommodation, Durban flood victims are finally receiving the keys to their new homes. 

As the KZN Department of Human Settlements and eThekwini Municipality handed over 113 houses in Cornubia this week, families displaced since the 2022 floods expressed a mixture of relief, joy, and gratitude, while reflecting on the immense difficulties they faced living alongside strangers in temporary quarters. 

Ntombi Shabane, 60, lived in Welbedacht East when her house was flooded and her family lived in a community hall for eight months from April 2022, before being moved to flats in Reservoir Hills, where they lived for three years. 

“Now in 2026, we’re in our new house. I’m very happy with this new house because I almost gave up because of the difficulties I faced. We had been told it would be quick because money for the disaster had been released by the government,” Shabane said. 

“I was patient as a mother because I want to leave my children in a proper home. I don’t have the resources to build a home.” 

Ntombi Shabane cleans her new home and shares her joy after years of waiting for a home.

Ntombi Shabane cleans her new home and shares her joy after years of waiting for a home.

Image: Doctor Ngcobo/ Independent Newspapers

Shabane said that in recent days, she received a call where she was told to get ready to move. 

“I became so emotional, I had tears of joy streaming down my face,” Shabane said. 

She highlighted the challenges of living with different people. 

“Today the Lord held back my tears, and the joy is inside my heart,” Shabane said, adding that she will live in her new home with her daughter and her three grandchildren. 

Mthokozisi Shangase, 53, said they have been patiently waiting since 2022. 

“This required patience because the way we were living was not like living in your own home. It’s not easy living with a stranger in a house because everyone is different. However, the situation forced us to be patient,” Shangase said. 

He said they lived in Dassenhoek before the floods. 

“I’ve been happy since receiving the message to pack our belongings because we are moving. We are thankful,” Shangase said about his new home, where he will live with his partner. 

Noloyiso Mafanya beams with happiness as she receives the keys to her new home.

Noloyiso Mafanya beams with happiness as she receives the keys to her new home.

Image: Doctor Ngcobo/ Independent Newspapers

Noloyiso Mafanya, 45, said receiving her own home filled her with joy. 

“Today (Monday) I’m very happy because I received my own home,” Mafanya said, also thanking the Department of Human Settlements.

She said she will live with her children, her brother, and her sister in her new home.  

Mafanya had lived in Chatsworth Unit 11 in ward 71 before the 2022 floods saw the family moved  to a hall, before the department moved them to flats in Reservoir Hills. 

Human Settlements MEC Siboniso Duma said the houses will be handed over to families living in Transitional Emergency Accommodation (TEAs) located in Mahatma Gandhi (Point), Sydenham (O’Flaherty Road), Dassenhoek and Ntuzuma. 

“The four mentioned TEAs will be closed, with four more set to close by the end of June 2027,” Duma said. 

Families express gratitude as they transition from transitional accommodation to new houses in Cornubia.

Families express gratitude as they transition from transitional accommodation to new houses in Cornubia.

Image: Doctor Ngcobo/ Independent Newspapers

He added that the department’s  investigation team, through the #NenzaniLaEzweni operation, will punish rogue elements caught selling these houses, even to illegal foreigners.

He said the departments of Health, Social Development, and Education are collaborating to ensure smooth relocations with adjusted services. A team of senior managers is also coordinating scholar transport for uninterrupted school attendance.

EThekwini Municipality mayor Cyril Xaba thanked Duma for working with them to relocate the flood victims. 

“The 113 are going to be given keys and will be settled here in Cornubia,” Xaba said. 

He said that ultimately, all 1,069 victims would be housed in the mega project. 

[email protected]